Page Two
Another improvement in 1906 was the installation of streetlights in the New Invention area.
In 1906 George Johnson moved on and the Rev. George Pimbury took over the reins. His main contribution to improvements was to improve the facilities for the younger members of the Parish. He overseed the building of the Church Institute to provide a venue for the teenagers. He left the parish in 1916. He is remembered by the name of a road, Pimbury Avenue, which is in the Trinity Estate by the church.
Rev. George Holmes took over in 1916 and turned out to be the longest serving incumbent of Holy Trinity. His tenure lasted until 1949 and only ended with his death.
Vicar Holmes guided the Parish through two world wars. One problem he had to deal with was that a suitable memorial to those that had lost their lives in the First World War. Finally, a suitable site was found on the corner of Hayley Street and Council Crescent. The wheel had now come full circle and in April 1934 after 62 years of independence the Parish was once again made part of Willenhall.
By the late 1940s, Rev. George Holmes’ health was failing, and he died in 1949.
There was a long interregnum with the Rev. William Hopkinson taking up the reins in 1950. The fabric of the church was in a poor state including the floor and it was necessary to do the extensive repairs. The church was closed for a time while this was being carried out. The costs were born by a fund-raising campaign through out the Parish.
The work was finished in 1955 in time for Holy Trinity to celebrate its Centenary. This was carried out with a choir festival and a series of special sermons with several guest preachers taking part.
Rev. William Hopkinson left in 1956. His was the shortest spell in charge but it had been successful with the church’s fabric restored. Communion numbers had been increased since 1949.
The Rev. Richard John Taylor took over the Parish in 1956 and was to stay until 1967. He concentrated on improving all the Uniformed Branches believing that the younger members of the church gave it more energy. This policy was backed up with ‘Operation Firm Faith’ again aimed at young people. The Church Institute was refurbished into tennis courts.
Holy Trinity also enrolled in the Mother Union and an Aumbry was made for the reserved sacrament and installed in the Lady Chapel.
The old school buildings were demolished and replaced with a new hall which was opened in 1960. Whilst this was being carried out an old RAF Hut was assembled to facilitate the Scouts and Sunday School. It was meant to be temporary but proved to be so useful that it was used for several years.
To help with the finances two Stewardships were carried out, which were fairly successful. On the spiritual side a month-long mission was carried out and was well received.
From 1960 onwards the Parish had the services of three Curates who followed on at intervals: Joe Martin, John Widas and Alan Broadhead. These helped with the workload of the Vicar. A drama Group was established in 1961 and was successful over many productions.
The new vicarage was opened in 1964 and the old one demolished. A light was erected to illuminate the East Window. It was unveiled on Maunday Thursday 1965.